Starting from February 1, 2022, according to the Salesforce Trust and Compliance Documentation, all Salesforce customers are required to use Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) to be able to access Salesforce products. In order to help the customers meet the Multi-Factor Authentication requirements, Salesforce will begin to automatically enable MFA for users who log in directly to Salesforce products. Although Multi-Factor Authentication will be auto-enabled, admins will still have the ability to disable MFA if their users are not ready yet. However, after the deadline of the requirement, Salesforce will progressively start to enforce Multi-Factor Authentication by making it a part of the login process and removing the option for admins to disable it. Dates for the auto-enablement and enforcement of Multi-Factor Authentication will vary by the product.
Users who access Salesforce products through Single Sign On (excluding ClickSoftware products) won’t be affected by auto-enablement and enforcement actions of Salesforce. However, it is important to note that MFA is required for all Salesforce users who authenticate via SSO.
For each of your Salesforce products, you will receive a notice before auto-enablement starts. You will get another notice minimum of six months before Multi-Factor Authentication is enforced. Salesforce will publish the notices in standard release notification channels. Even though Salesforce is still working on finalizing the auto-enablement and enforcement dates, you can use the following time frames to plan for the changes that will happen for your products. It might be that some time frames could change, but no changes will happen sooner than what is listed. This list will be updated as dates for products are confirmed.
Products and Their Projected MFA Auto-Enablement and Enforcement Dates
- Products built on the Salesforce Platform: MFA will be auto-enabled between September and October 2022. Then it will be enforced between May and June 2023.
- B2C Commerce Cloud: MFA will be auto-enabled and enforced in May 2022 (in the Spring Maintenance release).
- ClickSoftware— Field Service Edge (FSE): There is no plan for auto-enablement. However, MFA will be enforced in June 2022 (in the MR12 Spring Maintenance release).
- ClickSoftware— Service Optimization V8 Cloud: There is no plan for auto-enablement but MFA will be enforced in June 2022.
- Heroku: Auto-enablement and enforcement will happen at the same time on June 1, 2022.
- Marketing Cloud—Datorama: Auto-enablement and enforcement will happen at the same time between September and November 2022.
- Marketing Cloud—Email Studio, Mobile Studio, and Journey Builder: MFA will be auto-enabled in October 2021. Then it will be enforced between June and July 2022.
- Marketing Cloud—Social: MFA will be auto-enabled between June and August 2022. Then it will be enforced between October and December 2022.
- MuleSoft Anypoint Platform: MFA will be auto-enabled between July and December 2022. Then it will be enforced in 2023.
- Quip products: MFA will be auto-enabled on February 1, 2022 and then will be enforced on May 1, 2022.
- Tableau Online: Auto-enablement and enforcement will happen at the same time between July and September 2022.
Read this post to learn how to enable MFA.
Salesforce Authenticator app is the most popular and most recommended MFA solution. Click here to learn more about this app and see the steps to configure it for your users.
Leave a Reply